Tuesday 26 August 2014

Happy birthday Dad #2

It may be a pointless thing to write or it may not be. I am not sure. But he would have been 65 today.

When I first started going out at around 18 years old there was one night where I got home at about 2:30am in the morning with me having to go to college the next day. I didn't start drinking alcohol until  a few months before then and my limit was about three drinks. I may have had four that night as I was pretty out of it.

I wasn't used to alcohol back then.

I was hungry. Very hungry.

Is this what alcohol did?

I looked in the freezer and there was a pack of chic-sticks. I could shove a few in the oven and maybe have a fifteen minute nap until they were done! What a great idea. It was cold. I also had to put the heater on in the front room.

So about twenty minutes later, I heard these heavy footsteps pounding down the stairs and I just thought "shit". Then I remember my dad shouting at me in a booming thunderous voice. Something like "COLLEGE IN THE MORNING, WHAT TIME DO YOU CALL THIS!?" etc. My head was hurting a bit.

Is this what alcohol did?

He then asked me what the hell that burning smell was. I told him I couldn't smell anything. But I could really. My chic-sticks were burning. Then it was something like "YOU PUT FOOD IN THE OVEN AT THIS TIME AND THEN YOU FALL ASLEEP ON THE SOFA WITH BOTH THE HEATER AND OVEN ON!?"

Then he said "Do you want me to order you some food? I'll give you some money."





No comments:

Post a Comment